Computational and experimental research on fluid transport and heat flow in porous and (or) fractured media
Multiscale (pore–scale and basin–scale) modeling of subsurface systems of energy and resources
Forward simulation, inverse modeling, and data–driven modeling of complex processes in subsurface systems of energy and resources
Applications: Sustainable development of unconventional hydrocarbons; Origin, fate, and transport of critical minerals (e.g. lithium) in petroleum source rock brines; Safe nuclear waste disposal with engineered barrier systems; Kerogen–chemical additives interactions; Rock–water interactions
- Lee, K. You, J. Gao, Y. and Terlier T. 2023. Release, Transport, and Accumulation of Lithium in Shale Brines. Fuel. 356:129629 (15 pages).
- de Oliveira Souza, T. and Lee, K. 2023. Reducing the Risk of Gas Leaks into the Ocean Floor Induced by Offshore Production Well Failure. Petroleum Science and Technology. doi.org/10.1080/10916466.2023.2239309.
- Ohazuruike, L. and Lee, K. 2023. A Comprehensive Review on Clay Swelling and Illitization of Smectite in Natural Subsurface Formations and Engineered Barrier Systems. Nuclear Engineering and Technology. 55(4):1495-1506.
- You, J. and Lee, K. 2022. Experimental Characterization and Pore–Scale Modeling of Iron Precipitation in Shale Reservoirs by Interacting with Hydraulic Fracturing Fluid. Energy & Fuels. 36(21):12997–13006
- Youzan, F. and Lee, K. 2022. Analyzing the Factors Affecting Microbial Enhanced Oil Recovery through Numerical Simulation Study. Energy Sources Part A: Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects. 44(2): 4693-4705.
- You, J. and Lee, K. 2022. The Experimental Investigation and Data–Driven Modeling for Thermal Decomposition Kinetics of Green River Shale. Fuel. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2022.123899.
- You, J. and Lee, K. 2022. Pore–Scale Numerical Investigations of the Impact of Mineral Dissolution and Transport on the Heterogeneity of Fracture Systems During CO2–enriched Brine Injection. SPE Journal. https://doi.org/10.2118/204313-PA.
- Lee, K. 2022. Potential of Petroleum Source Rock Brines as a New Source of Lithium: Insights from Basin–Scale Modeling and Local Sensitivity Analysis. Energy Reports. 8:56-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egyr.2021.11.279.
- You, J. and Lee, K. 2021. A Pore–Scale Investigation of Surface Roughness on the Evolution of Natural Fractures During Acid Dissolution using DBS Method. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.petrol.2021.108728.
- You, J. and Lee, K. 2021. Pore-Scale Study to Analyze the Impacts of Porous Media Heterogeneity on Mineral Dissolution and Acid Transport Using Darcy–Brinkmann–Stokes Method. Transport in Porous Media. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11242-021-01577-3.
- You, J. and Lee, K. 2021. Analyzing the Dynamics of Mineral Dissolution During Acid Fracturing by Pore–Scale Modeling of Acid–Rock Interaction. SPE Journal. https://doi.org/10.2118/200406-PA.
- Xiong, X. and Lee, K. 2020. Data-Driven Modeling to Optimize the Injection Well Placement for Waterflooding in Heterogeneous Reservoirs Applying Artificial Neural Networks and Reducing Observation Cost. Energy Exploration & Exploitation. https://doi.org/10.1177/0144598720927470.
- Lee, K. 2020. Data-Driven Models to Predict Hydrocarbon Production from Unconventional Reservoirs by Thermal Recovery. Journal of Energy Resources Technology. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4047309.
- Lee, K. 2020. Characterization of Kerogen Content and Activation Energy of Decomposition Using Machine Learning Technologies in Combination with Numerical Simulations of Formation Heating. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.petrol.2019.106860.
- Reagan, M.T. Moridis, G.J. Keen, N.D. Lee, K. et al. 2019. Transport and Fate of Natural Gas and Brine Escaping from a Hydrocarbon Reservoir Through a Failed Deepwater Well in the Oceanic Subsurface of the Gulf of Mexico. Transport in Porous Media. 127(2): 459-480.
- Oldenburg, C. Daley, T. Borgia, A. Doughty, C. Jung, Y. Lee, K. Zhang, R. Altundas, B. Chugunov, N. 2018. On Carbon Dioxide Injection into Faults and Fracture Zones for Better Characterization of Permeable Flow Paths in Enhanced Geothermal Systems (LBNL Report).
- Anyenya, G.A. Braun, R.J. Lee, K. et al. 2018. Design and Dispatch Optimization of a Solid-oxide Fuel Cell Assembly for Unconventional Oil and Gas Production. Optimization and Engineering. 19(4): 1037-1081.
- Jung, Y. Doughty, C. Borgia, A. Lee, K. et al. 2018. Pressure Transient Analysis during CO2 Push-Pull Tests into Faults for EGS Characterization. Geothermics. 75: 180-191.
- Lee, K. Finterle, S. and Moridis, G.J. 2018. Analyzing the Impact of Reaction Models on the Production of Hydrocarbons from Thermally Upgraded Oil Shales. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. 168: 448-464.
- Lee, K. Finterle, S. and Moridis, G.J. 2018. Estimating the Reaction Parameters of Oil Shale Pyrolysis and Oil Shale Grade Using Temperature Transient Analysis and Inverse Modeling. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering. 165: 765-776.
- Lee, K. Oldenburg, C.M. Doughty, C. et al. 2018. Simulations of Carbon Dioxide Push-Pull into a Conjugate Fault System Modeled after Dixie Valley— Sensitivity Analysis of Significant Parameters and Uncertainty Prediction by Data-Worth Analysis. Geothermics. 74: 121-134.
- Foxall, W. Doughty, C. Lee, K. Nakagawa, S. Daley, T. Burton, E. Layland-Bachmann, C. Borglin, S. Freeman, K. Ajo-Franklin, J. Jordan, P. Kneafsey, T. Oldenburg, C. and Ulrich, C. 2017. Investigation of Potential Induced Seismicity Related to Geologic Carbon Dioixide Sequestration in California. CEC-500-2017-028.
- Lee, K. Moridis, G.J. and Ehlig-Economides, C.A. 2017. Numerical Simulation of Diverse Thermal In-situ Upgrading Processes for the Hydrocarbon Production from Kerogen in Oil Shale Reservoirs. Energy Exploration & Exploitation. 35(3): 315-337.
- Lee, K. Moridis, G.J. and Ehlig-Economides, C.A. 2017. Compositional Simulation of Hydrocarbon Recovery from Oil Shale Reservoirs with Diverse Initial Saturations of Fluid Phases by Various Thermal Processes. Energy Exploration & Exploitation. 35(2): 172-193.
- Lee, K. Moridis, G.J. and Ehlig-Economides, C.A. 2016. In-situ Upgrading of Oil Shale by Steamfrac in Multistage Transverse Fractured Horizontal Well System. Energy Sources Part A : Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects.38(20): 3034-3041.
- Lee, K. Moridis, G. J. and Ehlig-Economides, C. A. 2016. A Comprehensive Simulation Model of Kerogen Pyrolysis for the In-situ Upgrading of Oil Shales. SPE Journal. 21(05): 1612-1630.
- Lee, K. Bahk, J. And Choe, J. 2015. Numerical Modeling for Temperature and Pressure Distributions in Gas Hydrate Bearing Sediments while Drilling. Energy Sources Part A : Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects. 37(4): 372-383.
- Khurshid, I. Lee, K. and Choe, J. 2013. Analyses of Thermal Disturbance in Drilling Deep and High Temperature Formations. Energy Sources Part A: Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects. 35(16): 1487-1497.
- Lee, K. and Choe, J. 2011. Numerical Modeling of the Effect of Seawater and Circulation Rates for Seafloor Mudline Temperature. Geosystem Engineering. 14(3): 153-156.
- Ryu, J. Lee, K. Bahk, J. and Choe, J. 2010. Wellbore Stability Analysis for Hydrate Bearing Sediments using a Bonded Particle Model. The Korean Society for Geosystem Engineering (Korean). 47(2): 191-198.
Ph.D. Students: Lotanna Ohazuruike, Xinwei Xiong, Xuan Yi
M.S. Student: Thales Souza