Farouq Ali comes to UH from the University of Calgary where he served as the Encana/Petroleum Society Chair and Professor of chemical and petroleum engineering. He has over 40 years of experience in industry and academia, having served as a professor at Pennsylvania State University, the University of Alberta and the University of Regina.
Considered one of the world’s leading experts in reservoir engineering, oil recovery and simulation, Farouq Ali advises oil companies and various governments on oil policy and production strategies. He has authored more than 500 papers, conducted more than 200 petroleum reservoir studies and designed over 30 major oil fields projects.
Farouq Ali earned his master’s and doctoral degrees in petroleum and natural gas engineering from Penn State University. As a graduate student he conducted pioneering research on micellar-polymer flooding, a process in which a micelle solution is pumped into a reservoir to recover oil. The technique has since become the industry standard for enhanced oil recovery.
He is also credited with some of the earliest experimental work on steam flooding, a method of injecting steam to extract heavy crude oil from an oil reservoir. Today steam injection is one of the primary enhanced oil recovery techniques in use.
Farouq Ali has been honored with awards from the Society of Petroleum Engineers, the Canadian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta and the Russian Academy of Sciences.
Improving oil recovery from reservoirs; heavy oil recovery, steam injection, in situ combustion, chemical flooding; micellar flooding; numerical reservoir simulation; research and education.
- Zeinab Zargar and S.M. Farouq Ali, 2018, Analytical Modelling of Steam Chamber Rise Stage of Steam-Assisted Gravity Drainage (SAGD) Process, Fuel Journal, Vol 233 (2-18) p732–742.
- Jiang, Liangliang, Zhangxin Chen, and S.M., Farouq Ali. "General hydro-geological impact of cleats on underground coal gasification." Fuel 224 (2018): 128-137.
- Bayestehparvin, B., Farouq Ali, S.M. and Abedi, J.: “Solvent-Based and Solvent-Assisted Recovery Processes - State-of-the-Art”, SPE Reservoir Evaluation & Engineering-Reservoir Engineering (2018).
- Zargar, Zeinab, and Farouq Ali, S.M.:A New Mathematical Model of Solvent-SAGD Process - Importance of Heat and Mass Transfer, SPE-184978, presented at the SPE Canada Technical Heavy Oil Conference, Calgary, 15-16 Feb, 2017.
- Bayestehparvin, Bita, Abedi, Jalal, and Farouq Ali, S.M.: Non-Equilibrium Reservoir Simulation of Solvent-Steam Processes, Based on Mass and Heat Transfer Inside a Pore, SPE 180471, presented at the Reservoir Simulation Conference, Montgomery, TX, Feb 2017.
- Bayestehparvin, Bita, Abedi, Jalal, and Farouq Ali, S.M.: Development of a Non-Equilibrium Pore Scale Reservoir Simulator, SPE 185010, presented at the SPE Canada Technical Heavy Oil Conference, Calgary, 15-16 Feb, 2017.
- Bayestehparvin, Bita, Farouq Ali, S.M., and Abedi, Jalal: Case Histories of Solvent Use in Thermal Recovery, SPE-185734, presented at Western Regional Meeting held in Bakersfield, California, USA, 23-27 April 2017.
- Zargar, Zeinab, and Farouq Ali, S.M.: Analytical Treatment of SAGD – Old and New, SPE-180748, presented at the SPE Canada Technical Heavy Oil Conference, Calgary, 2016. Accepted for publication.
- Farouq Ali, S.M.: Effect of Steam Injection Interruption on SAGD Performance, SPE-179853, presented at SPE EOR Conference at Oil and Gas West Asia held in Muscat, Oman, 21–23 March 2016.
- Bayestehparvin, Bita, Farouq Ali, S.M., and Abedi, Jalal: Use of Solvents with Steam - State-of-the-Art and Limitations, SPE-179829, presented at SPE EOR Conference at Oil and Gas West Asia held in Muscat, Oman, 21–23 March 2016. Accepted for publication.
- Farouq Ali, S.M.: Life After SAGD – 20 Years Later, SPE-180394, presented at SPE Western Regional Meeting, Anchorage, 23-26 May 2016.
- Bayestehparvin, Bita, Abedi, Jalal, and Farouq Ali, S.M.: Heavy Oil Mobilization by Cold Solvent, Hot Solvent, and Heat - A Comparative Pore Level Evaluation, SPE-180471, presented at SPE Western Regional Meeting held in Anchorage, Alaska, USA, 23–26 May 2016.
- Bayestehparvin, Bita, Abedi, Jalal, and Farouq Ali, S.M.: Dissolution and Mobilization of Bitumen at Pore Scale, SPE 174482, presented at SPE Canada Technical Heavy Oil Conference, Calgary, 2015.
- Fuenmayor, M., Gil, E., Pantin, R., Rojas, L. A., Quintero, N., and Farouq Ali, S.M.: Monitoring and Optimization of the Highly Successful Quifa In-Situ Combustion Project, WHOC15-282, presented at World Heavy Oil Congress, Edmonton, 2015.
- Heidari, M., Hejazi, S.H., Farouq Ali, S.M.: SAGD Performance with Temperature Dependent Properties – An Analytical Approach, Paper 175036, Presented at the SPE Annual Technical Conference, Houston, 2015. Published in SPEJ.
- Song, Qiuyue, Chen, Zhangxin, Farouq Ali, S.M.: Steam Injection Schemes for Bitumen Recovery from the Grosmont Carbonate Deposits, SPE174463, Presented at the SPE Heavy Oil Conference, Calgary, June 2015.
- Gil, E., Quintero, N.M., Rojas, L.A., Fuenmayor, M., Farouq Ali, S.M.: Monitoring and Optimization of an In-Situ Combustion Pilot Applying STAR™ Technology, Paper 174435, Presented at the SPE Heavy Oil Conference, Calgary, June 2015.
Seyed Mahdi Razavi